30-50% of the general population is affected by insomnia & 10% have chronic insomnia. Yoga therapy has been shown to be beneficial & has fewer side effects as other conventional therapies.
Yoga is an effective treatment option for patients with insomnia. There was a significant improvement in the stress scores & the self confidence scores in the experimental yoga group in this study (Sobana 2013)
- The Sleep Revolution ~ Arianna Huffington
- Afonso R.F., Hachul H. et al. Yoga decreases insomnia in postmenopausal women: a RCT. Menopause. 2012;19(2):186–193.
- Chen K.M., Chen M.H., et al. Effects of yoga on sleep quality & depression in elders in assisted living facilities. J Nurs Res. 2010;18(1):53–61
- Hariprasad V.R., Sivakumar P.T., et al. Effects of yoga intervention on sleep & QoL in elderly: a RCT. Indian J Psychiatry. 2013;55(suppl 3):S364–S368.
- Manjunath N.K., Telles S. Influence of yoga & ayurveda on self-rated sleep in a geriatric population. Indian J Med Res. 2005;121:683–90.
- Sobana R. et al. The effect of yoga therapy on selected psychological variables among male patients with insomnia. J Clin Diagn Res. 2013;7(1):55–57