Yoga has been shown to significantly improve the sexual function scores in men & women.
- After 12 weeks of yoga 40 women experienced significant improvement in sexual function:
- arousal, desire, lubrication, orgasm, pain and satisfaction.
- After 12 weeks of yoga 65 men experienced significant improvement in sexual function:
- confidence, desire, ejaculatory control, erection hardness, orgasm, partner synchronization, performance and satisfaction
- The studies involved sexually stimulating poses:
Yoga increases the level of the sex hormone testosterone in the bloodstream which correlates to increased sexual desire & activity in men & women:
- 11% reduction in the stress hormone cortisol
- 16% increase in testosterone
Rapid yogic breathing increases sexual desire.
Brotto LA. 2002. Genital & subjective sexual arousal in postmenopausal women: influence of laboratory-induced hyperventilation. J of Sex and Marital Therapy. 28(1):39-53
Dhikav V et al. Yoga in Male sexual functioning: a non-comparative pilot study. J of sexual medicine. Oct 2010. 7(10): 3460-6
Dhikav V et al. Yoga in female sexual functions. J of sexual medicine. Feb 2010. 7(2): 964-70
Minvaleev RS. 2004. Postural Influences on the Hormone Level in Healthy Subjects: I. The Cobra Posture & Steroid Hormones. Human Physiology, 30(4), 452-456