Between work and commuting to work, many of us sit for several hours a day. Depression & stress can exacerbate the effects of sitting because our bodies naturally contracts & curls inward toward the fetal position to protect our vital organs.
A sedentary lifestyle and depressed emotional state can lead to an imbalance & tightness in the hips: shortened hip flexor’s (psoas, iliacus, rectus femoris), weakened hip extensors (gluteus maximus) & overworked hamstrings. Practicing yoga poses helps to improve the flexibility in the muscles supporting the hip and circulation in the hip joint. Hip opening poses may open you up not only physically but mentally as well.
- improves mental state & feelings of well-being
- improves mobility in the joints
- improves circulation of synovial fluid (reduces friction in joint)
- improves balance & openness
- anjaneyasana (low lunge)
- baddha konasana (bound angle pose)
- eka pada rajakapotasana (pigeon pose)
- setu bandhasana (bridge pose)
- supta virasana (reclined hero’s pose)
- upavista konasana (wide angle seated forward bend)
VIDEO LINK: Stay tuned..coming soon to YouTube.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get updates.
Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual ~David Swenson
Yoga Anatomy ~Leslie Kaminoff & Amy Matthews
Yoga Sequencing ~Mark Stephens