4-limbed staff pose; plank
- builds abdominal strength
- increases wrist strength & flexibility
- prepares for arm balancing poses
- strengthens arm, shoulder, leg & core muscles
- strengthens toe flexors
- Drop knees to the floor
- Maintain a straight line from knees to the crown of the head
- Exhale as you lower to the ground and keep elbows pinned to sides
Trouble engaging legs?
- Use a wall to help engage leg & core muscles
- Place soles of the feet at the wall with toes curled under.
Trouble hugging elbows to sides?
Loop a yoga strap around upper arms above the elbows so they are shoulder-width apart.
PROCEED WITH CAUTION
Shoulder and rotator cuff injuries have been associated with this pose
Be mindful of body alignment:
- hug elbows into your sides
- keep your buttocks in line with your shoulders
- keep your head in line with your shoulders to protect the neck
- avoid collapsing shoulders below elbows
- engage abdominal muscles to prevent core from sagging toward floor
VIDEO LINK: Stay tuned..coming soon to YouTube.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get updates.
Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual ~David Swenson
Yoga Anatomy ~Leslie Kaminoff & Amy Matthews
Yoga Sequencing ~Mark Stephens