[OORD-vah MOO-kah shvah-NAHS-anna] upward facing dog pose, up-dog
chest-opener * improves posture * strengthens arms and wrists * stretches chest and abdomen * firms the buttocks * stimulates abdominal organs
MUSCLES: hamstrings * vastus lateralis * adductor magnus * gluteus maximus * psoas major * illiacus * diaphragm * spinal extensors * infraspinatus * deltoid * triceps brachii
COUNTER POSES: adho mukha svanasana * ardha matsyendrasana * apanasana * balasana
PROCEED WITH CAUTION: Areas to watch: wrists and lower back
Be mindful of body alignment.
- Press the top of feet into the mat to activate the legs. Put slightly greater pressure towards the pinky toe side to help internally rotate the inner thighs.
- Pull your hips forward while lengthening your tail bone toward your heels
- Root your hands firmly to lift your chest and keep shoulders away from ears
- Pressure spine toward your heart while pulling your shoulders back and spreading your collarbones
- Align your shoulders directly over your wrists