Hatha yoga had positive effects on mental health & well-being in sedentary adults.
- Yoga improved the dimensions fatigue, self-esteem & quality of life (QoL).
- Exercise improved body image.
- Yoga & exercise reduced depression symptoms.
Other studies show:
….findings suggest yoga effectively reduces distress, improves related psychological & physical outcomes (Michelson 2010)
3 months of yoga, participants demonstrated significant improvements:
- perceived stress
- psychological quality of life (QoL)
- mood & body image.
- dose effects were seen in patients with back pain, anxiety & depression.
4307 randomly selected yogis completing a survey found a home-based yoga practice predicted health better than years of practice or class frequency; and different physical poses & yoga techniques may provide unique health benefits. (Ross 2010)
Beginner yogi’s who participated in a 6-week yoga program that incorporated breathing techniques, yoga postures, guided relaxation & meditation showed lower average levels of symptoms of depression, anxiety and stress. (Campbell 2004)
- Bussing A. et al. Effects of Yoga on Mental & Physical Health: A Short Summary of Reviews. Evidence-Based Compl & Alt Med. 2012.
- Campbell, D.E. et al. Yoga as a preventative treatment for depression, anxiety & stress.Intl J of Yoga Therapy. 2004; 14:53-58
- Chan W. et al. Yoga & exercise for symptoms of depression & anxiety in people with poststroke disability: a pilot RCT. Altern Ther Health Med. 2012;18(3):34–43
- Cohen D. et al. Cerebral Blood Flow Effects of Yoga Training: Preliminary Evaluation of 4 Cases. J of Alt & Comp Medicine. 2009
- Newham J.J. et al. Effects of antenatal yoga on maternal anxiety & depression: a RCT. Depress Anxiety. 2014;31(8):631–640.
- Satyapriya M. et al. Effect of integrated yoga on anxiety, depression & well being in normal pregnancy. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2013;19(4):230–236.
- Shapiro D. et al. Mood changes associated with Iyengar Yoga practices: a pilot study. Intl J of Yoga Therapy. 2004. 14:35-44.
- Streeter C.C. et al. Effects of yoga on the Autonomic Nervous System, gamma-aminobutyric-acid & allostasis in epilepsy, depression & PTSD. 2012 May;78(5):571-9
- Streeter C.C.et al. 2010. Effects of yoga versus walking on mood, anxiety and brain GABA levels: a randomized controlled MRS study. J Alt & Compl Med. 16(11): 1145-52
- Streeter C.C. et al. Yoga asana sessions increased brain GABA levels: a pilot study. J Alt & Compl Med. 2007. 13(4): 419-26
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Jensen P.S. et al. The effects of yoga on the attention and behavior of boys with ADHD. J Atten Disord. 2004;7(4):205–216.
- Cramer H. et al. Yoga for schizophrenia: a systematic review & meta-analysis. BMC Psychiatry. 2013;13:32
- Duraiswamy G. et al. Yoga therapy as an add-on treatment in the management of patients with schizophrenia—a RCT. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2007;116(3):226–232
- Ikai S. et al. Effects of yoga therapy on postural stability in patients with schizophrenia-spectrum disorders: a single-blind RCT. J Psychiatr Res. 2013;47(11):1744–1750
- Visceglia E, Lewis S. Yoga therapy as an adjunctive treatment for schizophrenia: a pilot RCT. J Alters Complement Med. 2011;17(7):601–607